Sunday, September 5, 2010

Music Lesson


When my parents sold their final house,downsizing and moving into an assisted living/nursing home facility, these Sing Along With Mitch music books were among the things they saved.

Raising four children, my mother and father suffered through decades of music lessons, but being a Welsh family, it was expected that music was always around.

Offhand I remember four choir members (plus my parents), four sets of piano lessons (ranging from one year to maybe just over a decade), five-or-six years of clarinet, two sets of violin lessons(one for only a really pathetic year *ahem*), and - last but not least - a year of bagpipes.

Well, not exactly bagpipes. I believe this set of lessons only made it as far as the chanter stage. Actually I'm not sure they lasted for a year. Or maybe it's that my parents didn't last for a year. It's the only instrument that was dropped by the mutual consent of parent and child. No it wasn't me.

Mitch Miller died July 31st, about a month after my father. I don't believe that having to listen to beginning bagpipe lessons contributed to either one's demise.

##
This is a photograph of real bagpipe players - none of them remotely related to my family - taken at a Hillsborough Township Parade, .

No comments: