Tuesday, August 10, 2010
HNJJ CHEF: Basic Shepherd's Pie
1 lb. ground turkey
1 can (14.5 oz.) stewed tomatoes
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
Italian seasoning (to taste)
Approx. 2 cups frozen mixed vegetables
Instant mashed potatoes (follow directions on box for 6 servings)
1.- Cook the ground turkey in a large frying pan on top of the stove; drain any excess fat.
2. - Add the stewed tomatoes and the can of tomato paste. Mix with turkey; cook for about 5 minutes.
3. - Add the vegetables to the meat mixture; sprinkle the Italian seasoning over the mixture to taste. Mix thoroughly and heat through.
3. - Turn on the oven to 400 degrees.
4. - Prepare the six servings of mashed potatoes according to the package directions.
5. - Use a 2-quart oven-safe casserole. Spoon in the meat mixture. Top with the mashed potatoes.
6. - Bake 15-20 minutes until heated through.
7. - Serve in a soup bowl.
Use Italian seasoned canned tomatoes; delete the Italian Seasoning.
Use any vegetables you wish. To stretch the recipe or make it healthier, increase the amount of vegetables. Feel free to add a diced onion while the meat is cooking on the stove top.
If you like more seasoning, sprinkle additional Italian seasoning over the mashed potatoes before putting the casserole in the oven; pizza seasoning is good for this.
During this hot weather, not wanting to use the oven, we cook only the meat and vegetable mixture - not the potatoes. We then serve this over noodles or rice.
Note: Don't be stingy with the size of the frying pan for the meat mixture; we use a 12" one.
For the HNJJ CHEF: Shelby's Quick Stroganoff go here.
For more about The HNJJ CHEF go here.
This recipe originated from a 1999 DelMonte advertisement and a similar meal that my mother served.