Thursday, June 12, 2014

Earth's Fragile Ecology

Parade Magazine recently had an article about American Astronaut Sally Ride (1951-2012) that included a quote that got the attention of the HNJJ crew,
"I saw the blackness of space, and then the bright blue Earth. And then it looked as if someone had taken a royal blue crayon and traced along Earth’s horizon. And then I realized that that blue line, that -really thin royal blue line, was Earth’s atmosphere, and that was all there was of it. And it’s so clear from that perspective how fragile our existence is."
While researching that quote we found a similar thought attributed to German Astronaut Ulf Merbold,
"For the first time in my life I saw the horizon as a curved line. It was accentuated by a thin seam of dark blue light - our atmosphere. Obviously this was not the ocean of air I had been told it was so many times in my life. I was terrified by its fragile appearance."

How much have humans taken this fragility to heart since these 1980's observations?

No comments: