Saturday, November 29, 2008

Mom's Turkey Carcass Soup, Part 2

When we last visited Mom's Turkey Carcass Soup, I had not yet scored the requisite turkey carcass, but my niece was a willing donor after Thanksgiving dinner, so we moved on.

Friday morning we got everything out of the fridge and ran into our first glitch: the pot. We couldn't find anything big enough and had just decided to split everything between two pots, when my sweetheart remembered some camping equipment that we bought at a Girl Scout garage sale a few months ago.

Sure enough, there was the perfect pot! [See you can count on the Girl Sccouts!]

Now for the actual recipe. We crushed in the carcass, topped it with water, added onion, celery, carrots, bay leaves, peppercorns, and...something still wasn't right. As the concoction started to simmer, I reviewed the four recipes that I had printed from various online sources and noticed they all had thyme in them.

Okay, some digging in the spice cupboard produced dried thyme leaves which I added a scant 1/8 teaspoon at a time. As the leaves began to mix in the boiling water a familiar scent began to fill the air - Mom's Soup!

Aha! As of today I have about 12 cups of Mom's turkey stock in the refrigerator waiting to be skimmed and made into real soup.

Still working on reproducing Mom's recipe, we made a trip over to the produce store this morning to get celery, carrots, potatoes, parsnips, and...and...turnips?

I'm not really sure about the turnips, but I have one on hand just in case.

No comments: